George W. Patterson and His Electric Indian Clubs

Posted on Thursday, July 5th, 2018 by John Wood
Mr. George W. Patterson, of Chicago, Illinois, was an avid Indian Club swinger who was also an engineer. One day he had an interesting idea: to devise a means of attaching electric lights to his clubs whilst swinging them in a darkened theatre, thus producing a number of interesting patterns. The clubs were of special construction with the current supplied by flexible wires enclosed in a rubber tube. Three series of eight, three, and one candle power colored lamps are set in sockets in the club at right angles to the center of the clubs, which are split lengthwise. At the tip of each club is a 32-candle-power lamp. When current is not otherwise available (which was often the case in these days — the early 1900’s) a large portable storage battery furnished the necessary power.

Subscribe to this blog:
Sign up here to receive an email notification whenever a new post is added:
All Contents, Including Images and Text, Copyright © 2005-2019 by John Wood and Thunderdome Media Inc., Not to be reproduced without permission, All Rights Reserved
Author: John Wood

Here's the part no one pages attention to: All contents, including images and text, copyright © 2005-2021 by John Wood and Thunderdome Media Inc. Not to be reproduced without permission. All rights reserved. We will most likely grant permission but please contact us if you would like to repost.

IMPORTANT: Equipment and books, courses etc. pictured in blog posts are for display only and generally not available for sale unless specifically noted. If we have vintage equipment, courses, ephemera etc., for sale, it will be posted on our products page.