We recommend >>> Gray Hair and Black Iron
At 24 years of age, his measurements were as follows:
Weight: 230 pounds
Do you think he means business in the shot above? That’s from the 1964 Olympic tryouts. Here’s a look at Norb Schemansky’s achievements over the course of his amazing career:
- Olympic Champion – 1952 Olympic Games, Helsinki
- Silver Medal – 1948 Olympic Games, London
- Bronze Medal – 1960, Rome, 1964, Tokyo
- World Champion (1951, 1953, and 1954)
- 1955 Pan American Games Heavyweight Champion
- Silver Medal – Senior World Championships (1947, 1962, 1963)
- Bronze Medal – Senior World Championships (1964)
And best career marks:
- Press – 415 lbs.
- Snatch – 363 3/4 lbs.
- Clean and Jerk – 445 lbs.
- Total – 1200 lbs. (400-335-445)
In addition to his weightlifting exploits, Norb also famously cleaned, then thrice jerked the Apollon Wheels.
In 1925, Cadine performed a one-arm swing with 90 kilos which was actually greater than his own bodyweight. Cadine could also right hand snatch 211 pounds and one-hand deadlifted the famous Apollon Wheels.
Also of note is the sand-pit floor — you’ll see this feature a lot in old school physical culture gyms as it made it so globe barbells and dumbbells were not damaged if they were ever dropped.
Rigoulot was also the first man to clean and jerk over 400 pounds, lifted Apollon’s Wheels. and broke 57 weightlifting records over the course of his career. One of these records was a one-arm snatch of 261 pounds, which will likely never be broken. Rigoulot was also a very successful professional wrestler and his greatest match was against fellow strongman Milo Steinborn.